Textbook for Beginning Arabic
Third Edition, Teacher's Edition
Kristen Brustad, Mahmoud Al-Batal, and Abbas Al-Tonsi
eTextbooks are now available to rent or purchase through VitalSource.com! Please visit their website for pricing and availability.
As of January 1, 2021, the Smart Sparrow Companion Websites are no longer available. Soon, we will announce a new set of companion websites. Demos for the new companion websites will be available for instructors to sample beginning in spring 2021. The complete websites will be ready in time for students to use them during the fall 2021 semester.
Homework exercises are included in the textbook. Print answer keys are available for purchase through GUP. Ebook answer keys are available on the GUP website and VitalSource.com.
Al-Kitaab Part One, Third Edition is the second book in the bestselling Al-Kitaab Arabic Language Program. Part One uses an integrated approach to develop skills in formal and colloquial Arabic, including reading, listening, speaking, writing, and cultural knowledge. This comprehensive program is designed for students in the early stages of learning Arabic.
• Three varieties of Arabic—Egyptian, Levantine, and formal Arabic—presented using color-coded words and phrases
• Over 400 vocabulary words in three forms of Arabic, side by side
• Grammar explanations and activation drills, including discussions about colloquial and formal similarities and differences
• Authentic texts that develop reading comprehension skills
• Video dialogues and stories from everyday life in Egyptian, formal Arabic, and Levantine to reinforce vocabulary in culturally rich contexts, available on AlKitaabTextbook.com
• Presents the story of Maha and Khalid in formal Arabic and Egyptian, and Nasreen and Tariq in Levantine
• Arabic-English and English-Arabic glossaries, reference charts, and a grammar index
Instructors may request complimentary print or digital Teacher’s Edition exam or desk copies, which include the answer key. To request access to any of the Teacher’s Edition Vital Source eTextbooks, instructors may visit VitalSource.com and select “Faculty Sampling” in the upper right corner. Please note: While answer keys are sold separately from the Student’s Edition, the corresponding answer key is included in the Teacher’s Edition.
"There is much to like here."—Al-'Arabiyya, Volume 48
"A practical textbook well suited for Arabic teaching and learning."—MELA Notepad
Kristen Brustad was an associate professor of Arabic at the University of Texas at Austin until her retirement in 2019.
Mahmoud Al-Batal is a professor of Arabic at the American University of Beirut.
Abbas Al-Tonsi is a former senior lecturer at Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar.
pp., 8.5 x 11
pp., 8.5 x 11